Resources / Published Articles
Hawai‘i Friends informs the world of its innovative work and has published numerous articles in different journals for professionals working in the areas it has introduced. The work was featured extensively in Restorative Justice Today: Practical Applications, van Wormer & Walker (2013) http://www.sagepub.com/books/Book237503/toc
Its work has also been described and published in many journals including Principal Leadership for school administrators; the Federal Probation Journal and Corrections Today for judicial and corrections professionals; the Hawai‘i Bar Journal for the legal community; the Journal for Housing and Community Development for public housing administrators; and other educational and psychology journals.
The newly revised forth edition of, Interviewing for Solutions, by Peter De Jong and Insoo Kim Berg, a best-selling text for counselors and social workers, includes an 11 page detailed description of Hawai‘i Friends’ reentry and transition planning circle process.
Hawai‘i Friends has received requests from all over the world including New Zealand, Australia, Japan, Belgium, Spain, Italy, Canada, Nepal, Singapore, as well as many American states, for information on its programs.
Violence Prevention Through Literacy & Cooperative Education Articles:
- Reading Stories to Change the World, Walker, Principal Leadership, October 2005 pp. 42- 47.
- Violence Prevention Through Cooperative Education, Walker, Reclaiming Children and Youth, 15:1, Spring 2006, pp. 32-36.
Restorative Justice Articles:
- Solution-Focused Reentry and Transition Planning for Imprisoned People, Walker, 2013. In De Jong & Berg, Interviewing for Solutions, Belmont, CA: Brooks/Cole.
- Restorative Justice: Definition & Purpose, Walker, 2013, In van Wormer & Walker, 2012, Restorative Justice Today: Practical Applications, Los Angles, CA: Sage.
- Remember Bob Shapel: A Prison Dialogue at Walla Walla, Walker, In van Wormer & Walker, 2013, Restorative Justice Today: Practical Applications, Los Angles, CA: Sage.
- Brazil’s Restorative Prisons, Walker, Johnson & van Wormer, In van Wormer & Walker, 2013, Restorative Justice Today: Practical Applications, Los Angles, CA: Sage.
- Facilitator Development and Training for Reentry Planning Circles, Walker, Offender Programs Report: Social and Behavioral Rehabilitation in Prisons, Jails and the Community, 16:1, 1, 11-16, May/June, 2012.
- Restorative Celebrations for Parolee and Probationer Completion: The Importance of Ritual for Reentry Parole and Probation Completion Restorative Celebrations, Walker (In press 2012), In van Wormer & Walker, 2013, Restorative Justice Today: Practical Applications, Los Angles, CA:Sage.
- Huikahi Restorative Circles: Group Process for Self-Directed Reentry Planning and Family Healing, European Journal of Probation, Walker, October 2010, 2:2, p. 76-95
- Huikahi Restorative Circles: A Public Health Approach for Reentry Planning, Walker & Greening, Federal Probation, June 2010.
- Modified Restorative Circles: A Reintegration Group Planning Process That Promotes Desistance, Walker, Contemporary Justice Review, Vol. 12, No. 4, December 2009, 419-431.
- Pono Kaulike: Reducing Violence with Restorative Justice and Solution-Focused Approaches,Walker and Hayashi, Federal Probation Journal, June 2009.
- Restorative Justice is a Mandated Component of Hawai’i’s Reentry System, Brady and Walker, Justice Connections, Issue 6, Summer 2008.
- Waikiki Youth Circles: Homeless Youth Learn Goal Setting Skills, Walker, Journal of Family Psychotherapy, Vol. 19(1) 2008
- Implementation of Solution-Focused Skills in a Hawaii Prison, Walker, In Interviewing for Solutions, Berg and DeJong, 2008.
- Pono Kaulike: A Hawaii Court Provides Restorative Justice Practices for Healing Relationships, Walker & Hayashi, Federal Probation Journal, Vol. 71, No. 3, 18-24, 2007.
- Restorative Circles: The Gift of Listening in Waiawa Corrections Facility, The Compassionate Listening Project News Letter, Fall, 2007, http://www.compassionatelistening.org/news/newsletters
- Let the Healing Begin, Tomonari, Honolulu Magazine, November 2006.
- Restorative Programs Help Hawaii Inmates Reconnect with Community, Porter, 2007.
- A Gift of Listening for Hawaii’s Inmates, Walker & Sakai, Corrections Today, December 2006
- Restorative Circles: A Reentry Planning Process for Inmates, Walker, Sakai & Brady, Federal Probation Journal, June 2006, Vol. 70, No. 1 http://www.uscourts.gov/FederalCourts/ProbationPretrialServices/FederalProbationJournal.aspx.
- Conferencing: A New Approach for Juvenile Justice in Honolulu. Walker, Federal Probation Journal, Vol. 66 (1) June 2002.
(PDF format requires the free plugin Adobe Acrobat Reader.)
- Pono Kaulike a Pilot Restorative Justice Program, Walker & Hayashi, Hawaii Bar Journal, May 2004
- Restorative Justice Without Offender Participation: A Pilot Program for Victims International Institute for Restorative Practices, Walker, February 2004
- Western Applications of Indigenous People’s Confict Resolution Practices Presented at Fifth National Conference on Family and Community Violence Prevention, Walker, April 9, 2001, Los Angels, California, U.S.A.Beyond Policy: Conferencing on Student Behavior. Principal Leadership, Vol. 1 (7) March 2001.
- Hawaii Public Housing Implements Conferencing: A Restorative Approach to Conflict Resolution, Walker, Journal of Housing & Community Development, Nov/Dec. 2000.
- Hawai‘i needs fewer prisoners, not more prisons, Merce, Walker. Honolulu Star Advertiser, Jan. 7, 2015.